Tuesday 2 August 2022

AS THE MONITOR CELEBRATES 30 YEARS OF EXISTENCE …





















AS THE MONITOR CELEBRATES 30 YEARS IN BUSINESS OF PUBLISHING, I EQUALLY HAVE A STORY TO TELL IN THE SAME 30 YEARS.

Early during the month of May 1991, I got a call to report to the then General Manager’s office, Nile bank. When I got there, the Secretary handed to me a letter. Opening and reading it, I had been given an indefinate suspension. The reason I was suspended and eventually dismissed was to get me out of the way as prosecution had started regarding a Uganda Electricity Board (UEB) Account that had been fradulently opened in the bank by officers who were senior to me, yet I was by then in charge of Corporate accounts and the cash department.

Briefly, about the background of the UEB Account: There is (hopefully he is still around) a businessman by the name: Ceasar Kakooza. He was authorized by my seniors in Nile Bank to open an account in the name: UEB. By then, one of the Directors of Nile bank was the Minister of Energy. Another Director was the Governor at Bank of Uganda. To mention some. It so happened that the UEB Account was opened by a sole signatory: Ceasar Kakooza in 1990. This was done by my bosses in the bank. I just saw a cheque drawing from the account which I had not known about. One day, whether it was before end of 1990 or early 1991, a bank staff in charge of customer statements decided to take all the statements he had to the Main Post Office and posted all of them. It so happened that there was an instruction on the ‘UEB’ Account: Customer to collect the statement. The bank statement ended in the hands of the Accounts section at UEB.

The Accounts section was unaware of a UEB Account in Nile bank. The matter was referred to Lutta who was the CEO UEB. Lutta referred the matter to the Minister who was a member of Nile bank Board. I was told that the Minister gave an instruction stopping the Operations of the ‘UEB’ Account in Nile Bank.

I was later to learn that Kakooza used the documents he had in opening a ‘UEB’ Account in Nile bank to open a similar ‘UEB’ Account in Cooperative bank. That is where he was arrested. I learnt that Kakooza was getting cheques paying for power by the Corporates (Big consumers of power) and he would credit them to his ‘UEB’ Account in Nile bank. So, following his arrest, Nile bank management decided to sacrifice me!

After Nile bank, I decided to write articles for newspapers to get some little money to survive. While I was still with Nile bank, I had started a secondary school by the name: Kajjansi College. Unfortunately, challenges then which included my loss of a job with no terminal benefits paid, and the sickness of my brother who was in charge, and his eventual death called for my resignation with the school, and I gave the students to someone who since then has registered good success with the school.

I ended up at the Weekly Topic offices. They could publish my articles and letters to the editor. Time came when some journalists broke away from the Weekly Topic and they founded The Monitor. I could meet these guys on Dewinton Road where their offices were located before they transferred to Namuwongo.

I was getting some little money from the Monitor. There was also the Crusader and some other three papers not forgetting the New vision.

In 2001, together with some people and students of Makerere University, we founded and registered Makerere University Private Students’ Parents’ Association (MUPRISPA) with the Registrar of Companies. We tried to push for the welfare of privately sponsored students at Makerere University. I wrote a proposal to the Ministry of Education of a feasible educational loan scheme as well as advocated for no increase in students’ tuition whenever the University came up with new structures.

My journey from May 1991 to date has not been easy. It has been a journey of gambles. In 2005 October, I was requested by the Late Doctor Mayanja an Old Boy of St. Mary’s College, Kisubi (SMACK) to help in the preparations for SMACK 100 Celebrations. I did all I could, that is: Mobilizing the Old Boys of St. Mary’s College, Kisubi and I also single handedly performed the role of Editor for SMACK 100 Magazine.

After the SMACK Centenary, I kept in touch with Old Boys. I would update them on various developments. I was able to work on 10 publications to do with SMACK.

I had around 2008 registered a Community Based Organization (CBO) in the name: Good Governance Practice (GOGOP), unfortunately, my fundraising efforts for projects were interferred with such that I did not get funding.

I at the sametime got involved in Publishing Career related literature for secondary schools under: Career Tips Magazine. It was not easy getting adverts, and taking copies to schools to have them buy was equally a challenge.

At the time when Moringa was the norm, I together with a friend who unfortunately passed on worked in Moringa related business and also made some publications on how to manage  / grow Moringa; dry it; and the various medicinal values of the tree.

In 2010, an idea came to my mind to raise funds internationally so that I would stand for President of Uganda. I knew in my mind that I did not stand chance to outcompete President Museveni for the job. But my ambition to have resources to improve the welfare of the people of Namutamba parish would be achieved. 

Due to the fact that during NRM time, some people by virtue of their office positions cut corners to get money. They succeeded in cutting off my communication with the donors. It was practically impossible for me not to have raised money in 2010 to stand for President. The money was received and some people decided to feast. They (Cairo International Bank) thought that I would accept their lies that I had not received money. I received money and part of it is what featured as the Cairo International Bank Pension Scam.

Efforts through communication with Bank of Uganda to intervene were futile as the Late Governor Bank of Uganda (Tumusiime Mutebile) saw me as a none entity not worth communicating responding to!

In 2015, I went to Barclays bank. I opened an account to fundraise to stand for President in 2016. Still my money was taken by people who are connected. Up to the time of writing this article, I have never realized a coin from the two fundraising (s) for President nor any other fundraising I have done after the one of 2015.

On March 3, 2021 after Makerere Main Building had burnt in 2020, I took it to myself to fundraise for the reconstruction of the building. That same day, I worked on the blog for the purpose and I think I sent out emails for the appeal in between 400 - 500. I got involved in the fundraising to show the Doubting Thomases that I was good at fundraising, so doubts that I had not raised money in 2010 and 2015 were false, and also I did fundraise because I am a concerned Alumnus.

SUPPORT THE RECONSTRUCTION OF MAKERERE UNIVERSITY MAIN BUILDING (IVORY TOWER)

https://makmainbuildingreconstruction.blogspot.com/2021/04/support-reconstruction-of-makerere.html?m=1

I was able to make another blog to fundraise to save Church House. I believe I sent out emails which were over 400. I belong to Church of Uganda, and that was my humble contribution.

My advice to those in authority who are able to treat us the way I have been treated: You have to make a choice. I have the background of a banker. You ought to have put to my attention whatever funds I raised, and if there was a genuine reason to deny me access to any such funds raised, the matter would be put to me on a case by case basis and also to the donor. God takes us through different experiences. He enabled me to make a correct decision regarding how I was to get money to do worthy projects, then you get people who believe that they are connected and are at liberty to treat us as rubbish, meanwhile asking me for proof that some funds were sent to me! Yes, God has the proof. I have come to know that God pays such people in their own currency as long as they are sons and daughters of a woman. You carry on. You have taken me through hello because you believe you are entitled, I hope you will not live to regret why you stole my money. God is good, He gives such people worthy punishments as He sees fit.

THAT IS HOW BAD FELLOW HUMANS CAN BE. OF THE BILLIONS I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CONVINCE SOME PEOPLE TO SEND TO UGANDA, I HAVE NEVER TOUCHED A SHILLING: BUT GOD IS IN CONTROL. AT THE RIGHT TIME, HE REWARDS ALL IN THEIR OWN CURRENCY.

No comments:

Post a Comment