GIVEN WHAT THE SUPREME COURT HAS HEARD SO FAR IN THE HON. AMAMA MBABAZI PETITION, THERE IS ENOUGH EVIDENCE THAT THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION 2016 RESULTS ARE NULL AND VOID AND COURT SHOULD ENDORSE AN ARRANGEMENT TO SEE A REPEAT OF THE EXERCISE.
It is illogical to imagine that the poll results cannot be overturned when it is clear that the Electoral Commission mismanaged the whole process.
What the Commission should have done prior to the election day involves:
1. Should have clearly told those in charge at each polling station that the number of voters (who are able to cast their vote) MUST be equal to the TOTAL number of cast votes (the valid and invalid combined). This would ensure that the Biometric Voter Verification machine is put to use given that each voter positively verified had his name ticked on the copy of the voter register at each polling station as well as written down. Observing this would rule out the possibility of multiple voting (where a voter puts more than one vote in the box or even vote stuffing which may not necessarily be done at the station).
2. With exercise 1 well executed, the summation of information on Tally sheets or Results Declaration forms would give the correct picture of the wishes of the voters.
3. With the Social media in place, it should have been possible to get photo images of Results Declaration forms timely remitted to the electoral commission as original forms are awaited.
4. A delay in declaration of final results beyond the 48 hours after closure of the polling would not have been as disastrous as the situation the country finds itself in where it is held together simply because the forces are loitering everywhere which is an abnormal situation.
5. The inability by the electoral commission to verify the number of votes per polling station against the biometric verification machine information (which definitely is one of the outputs of the machine) is allegedly to have been an oversight. This was possible simply because the NRM infrastructure infiltrated the exercise, yet had pre-determined results outcome. They therefore overlooked the role of the voter verification machine which gave cheating a leeway.
6. It is also true that the NRM had pre-determined results that is why they were able to fix the starting date of the school first term, because in their thinking as dictated by a stolen vote, the re- run was not a possibility.