Tuesday 15 February 2022

THE MARTYRDOM OF JANANI LUWUM SHOULD HELP SHAPE US TO LIVE WELL WITH FELLOW HUMANS

 AS UGANDANS CELEBRATE THE MARTYRDOM OF ARCHBISHOP JANANI LUWUM ON FEBRUARY 16, WE PRAY TO GOD TO TOUCH THE HEARTS OF UGANDANS WHO ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MISERY OF OTHERS.


In 1974 Janani Luwum RIP became Archbishop of Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Boga-Zaire (Eastern DR Congo).  It was during a time of widespread terror after Idi Amin RIP had overthrown President Milton Obote RIP three years earlier in 1971.  Amin had enacted a policy of repression, arresting anyone suspected of not supporting him. Hundreds of soldiers from the Lango and Acholi tribes were shot down in their barracks.  Over the next few years, many Christians were killed for various offenses. A preacher who read over the radio a Psalm which mentioned Israel was shot for this in 1972.  As Archbishop, Janani Luwum often went personally to the office of the dreaded State Research Bureau to help secure the release of prisoners.


Tension between the Church and state worsened in 1976. Religious leaders, including Archbishop Luwum, jointly approached Idi Amin to share their concern. They were rebuffed. Nevertheless, Archbishop Luwum continued to attend Government functions.


One of his critics accused him of being on the Government side and he replied: “I face daily being picked up by the soldiers. While the opportunity is there I preach the Gospel with all my might, and my conscience is clear before God that I have not sided with the present Government which is utterly self-seeking. I have been threatened many times. Whenever I have the opportunity I have told the President the things the churches disapprove of.”


Early in 1977, there was a small army rebellion that was put down leaving seven men dead. Amin, however, determined to stamp out all traces of dissent. His men killed thousands.  On Sunday, 30th January, Bishop Festo Kivengere RIP preached on “The Preciousness of Life” to an audience including many high government officials. He denounced the arbitrary bloodletting, and accused the government of abusing the authority that God had entrusted to it. The government responded on the following Saturday (5th February) by an early morning (1:30am) raid on the home of the Archbishop, Janani Luwum, ostensibly to search for hidden stores of weapons.


The Archbishop called on President Amin to deliver a note of protest, signed by nearly all the bishops of Uganda, against the policies of arbitrary killings and the unexplained disappearances of many persons. Amin accused the Archbishop of treason, produced a document supposedly by former President Obote attesting his guilt, and had the Archbishop and two Cabinet members (Erinayo Wilson Oryema and Charles Oboth Ofumbi committed Christians) arrested and held for military trial.


On 16th February, the Archbishop and six bishops were tried on a charge of smuggling arms. Archbishop Luwum was not allowed to reply, but shook his head in denial. The President concluded by asking the crowd: “What shall we do with these traitors?” The soldiers replied “Kill him now.” The Archbishop was separated from his bishops. As he was taken away Archbishop Luwum turned to his brother bishops and said: “Do not be afraid. I see God’s hand in this.”


The three (the Archbishop and the two Cabinet members) met briefly with four other prisoners who were awaiting execution, and were permitted to pray with them briefly. Then the three were placed in a Land Rover and not seen alive again by their friends.


As Ugandans get to reflect on martyred Archbishop Luwum, there is need to reflect on the misuse of positions of responsibility. I take this opportunity to reflect on my experiences given the injustice to me by people who are knowledgeable but end up practicing impunity that is unparalleled.


It is 12 and 7 years in 2022 since I fundraised to stand for President of Uganda. I fail to understand how executives in the Uganda banking industry can be party to the highest level of fraud. It is unacceptable that bank managers can be party to fraud to the extent of telling lies that one did not raise funds. This shows how low the integrity of some people has got. I don’t know how prepared some of these executives are for their scandals being exposed. If someone sent money, he or she can follow up anytime, and what happens when a manager is confronted with such proof that money was sent but not received by the true beneficiary.


12 and 7 years is a long time seeking justice, but to no avail. I am one person who for years now writes about dead people and the program to their burial on Facebook. I was forced to call a spade a spade when Prof. Tumusiime Mutebile breathed his last. We were told not to write bad about the dead. Unfortunately, this is no longer possible with me. The people who are responsible for our suffering need to be exposed. Never did Prof. Mutebile show commitment to my cause when I was defrauded. I have not only lost money which was meant for my credit in 2010 and 2015, there are other instances when I have fundraised from outside Uganda, and have not been able to access a coin!


After the death of Prof Mutebile, someone came up with a list of properties which the Late owned, today, those properties are here on earth and the Prof probably would have enjoyed the proceeds from them in his retirement, nothing like that. God decided to terminate his life. I really wonder why some people become so insensitive, they reap where they did not sow. And possibly, God also decides to get them out of this life earlier than they would have if they were clean.


I remember very well how I communicated to the Late Father Lokodo clearly informing him of just one suspect in the fraud of 2010. Lokodo, though highly paid and facilitated had no time to respond to me. He is not alone. I have not had cooperation by any responsible person to whom I presented my case, may be, Dr. Atingi - Deputy Governor at least sent my complaints to some individuals in Bank of Uganda who as far as I understand never showed commitment that I get justice.


As we celebrate Janan Luwum’s martyrdom, I wish to appeal to the authorities in Uganda to ensure that I get justice.


It is 12 and 7 years respectively this year that the plans I have for helping in the development of Namutamba parish have not taken off. The money I have raised since 2010 has been enjoyed by those people who are connected and disregards the likes of Kituuka.


I highly believe that involvement in fraud of the nature is highly responsible for the poor health of many officers who have a hand in the fraudulent undertakings and early deaths of others. 


Let us learn to respect others. Stealing people’s money because one is connected is not sustainable. 


I pray that people who are responsible for the suffering some of us are going through change their ways and do justice to us.


AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment