Saturday 24 December 2022

WHAT WE SHOULD TAKE CHRISTMAS TO MEAN

“To give up one's very self – to think only of others – how to bring the greatest happiness to others – that is the true meaning of Christmas."

It is Christmas again. This time in 2021, remember, we had friends with us or people we knew were alive. Unfortunately, as we get to celebrate Christmas of 2022, these friends, or relatives are no more.

The question: What price can one pay for being alive this Christmas? I think it should be to give up one’s very self and think of others.

Some of those celebrating Christmas in 2022 feast daily. To them, everyday can be equated to Christmas. Why shouldn’t such people think about the deprived? 

In my neighborhood, there is a Jack Fruit tree. Many times when I am at my home, I see small boys climb this tree. On Saturday, December 24, I was nearby. As the boy was about to climb, I said, “I am bothered that nearly each hour, you are climbing that tree. I fear you may fall off as I look on”. The boy responded: “But we are hungry!”.

The truth is: Many of Uganda children are malnourished. Some have one sure meal a day.

As we celebrate Christmas and also enter 2023, we need to focus more on the deprived. Many Ugandans are in very bad conditions simply because of some people who either exploit them or they lack employment or worthy employment with good returns.

This Christmas, I think those who have much more than they need should think about those without and help them.

Just two days ago, I bought a Cabbage. I needed a bag into which to put it. A small girl was asked to bring the bag. I realized that the girl was taking long to deliver. The mother explained that the girl was hungry. It was about 2.30pm. What came to my mind was to donate at least shs 1,000 for the girl to buy something to eat before their lunch.

The truth is: Many children today in Uganda are not fed well and in time. Parents are having it rough providing for them. This situation is being worsened by families having no land where to grow food.

So, as you celebrate Christmas 2022, thank God that you are still in this life and you can thank Him by helping the poor.



No comments:

Post a Comment