Sunday 26 March 2023

HOW CAN YOUTH MAKE GOOD OF UNEMPLOYMENT AFTER GRADUATION?

It is normal in Uganda Today for youth who have graduated in various areas not to be able to get employment in line of their training. This is very frustrating. It is best that a youth thinks of a way forward given the unemployment problem.

From 2010 to 2022, I was involved in fundraising from outside Uganda. My fundraising had a strategy to help the development initiatives in Namutamba Parish. This would eventually help in offering employment opportunities as well as boosting the welfare of members in Namutamba. Unfortunately, as I write, I have not been given chance to access a shilling of the monies I raised.

In 2022, when I was resigned with fundraising, there came a good Samaritan. This one had bought a plot of land and put a house into which I shifted in September 2022.

Once in the house, I focused on the way forward. I decided to start gardening. I was able to buy Banana Suckers from Kawanda Research Station, some Fruits including: Orange, Mango, Jack Fruit and Hass Avocado. My dream was to be eventually able to get my food needs from the part of the plot outside the compound of the house. The area where I am doing my gardening had much of the soil used in brick making. I decided to harvest water and in the process, some soil from the upper part of the land above my plot has proved good in providing free top soil from elsewhere.

With the rains on in March and likely to continue through April, onlookers are already realizing that my strategy seems to be paying off.

To my friends who earned degrees and or hold other qualifications, agriculture does not discriminate. Whatever academic qualifications one has, he or she is capable of earning from Agriculture.

I look at just two Cassava plants which I planted on my Birthday in October 2022. Had I for example had land and planted an acre or two, a few months from now, I would be making a big harvest. We get food from as far as Kabale to Kampala markets. There is no way one can go wrong in gardening as long as he or she does the work correctly. There is no reason why one does not malch Cassava. Surely, bigger tubers can be realized with good care.

It is also important getting the correct planting materials that give good yields.

Early each morning I wake up with a plan. I get a lot of weeds. I manage these weeds knowing that they will greatly add to soil fertility. My Banana plants have in front a water collecting area that I dug. It means that the Banana’s can benefit from this water and indeed that is not in dispute. I imagine that in the near future, I will be able to harvest a bunch of Matooke every fortnight. 

My advice to the youth is simple: As long as you can have access to land where you can practice agriculture, please do. You can always get technical advice from the Internet sources and or from technical people in agricultural undertakings. With dedication and good management, you should not regret. At the end of the day, earning is what is important.

Youth who have just completed school more so the boys should desist from the temptation of leaving the family of their parents early before they get viable employment. Youth should keep away from Alcohol so that they remain sober 24 hours a day.











Instead of begging for transport to look for jobs which are not there, I think one can easily raise money for agriculture from the one he or she would beg transport money from.

No comments:

Post a Comment