2. What is the EDPRS?
3. How is EDPRS different from PRSP1 ?
4. DDPs Elaboration Process
5. Historical review of HIV Response
6. Review of HIV Response from sectors
7. Review of HIV Response from Districts
8. Integration into EDPRS
9. Achievements: Key HI V actions integrated into EDPRS sectors
10. From EDPRS to Sector and Districts Development plans
11. Way Forward
• For the development of the country, Rwanda has vision called « Vision 2020 »;
• The achieve the overall goal of the vision, the country has developed a national strategy for poverty reduction and Economic Development « EDPRS » that cover all sectors;
• In the fight against HIV&AIDS, the strategy is “integration of HIV &AIDS into EDPRS;
• To implement EDPRS all districts developed their DDP’s
What is the EDPRS?
- Economic Development and Poverty Reduction Strategy (EDPRS):
• Is the second generation of Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP) with balance between productive and social sectors;
• It is a medium term framework for achieving Rwanda’s Vision 2020 ; the 7years GoR Program and MDGs;
• Covers the period 2008 to 2012 (medium-term)
- EDPRS is a road map to GoR, DP, the private sector and civil society which indicates:
• where Rwanda wants to go by 2012
• what needs to do to get there
• How it is going to do it
• what the journey is going to cost
• How it will be financed
• How it will know that it gets there
- EDPRS aims at:
• Improving the quality of life of all Rwandans ;
• Guiding the actions of the Government in 2008-12;
• Mobilizing resources from donors, and
• Involving the private sector and civil society
How is EDPRS different from PRSP 1?
• EDPRS is a different way of doing things;
• Evaluation of PRSP1 showed Good progress in social sectors (health, education) but quality & better targeting are required;
• For PRSP1 the fighting against HIV was understood as health issue and the response were focused in that sector, but now with the EDPRS HIV is considered as a CCI.
Historical review of HIV Response integration into EDPRS and DDPs
- The integration has passed through the whole process of development of EDPRS
– Development of Checklist
– Each CCI sub group developed a checklist showing the link with the vision 2020 and EDPRS, the goal and the purpose.
- HIV/AIDS Checklist:
Ø By 2015 have halted and stabilised the HIV prevalence rate at 3 %
Ø By 2020 decrease HIV/AIDS to reduce poverty
Ø By the completion of the EDPRS in 2012, action taken in HIV/AIDS can be demonstrated in the key areas identified below:
This will be measured and verified using National HIV/AIDS Monitoring and Evaluation Indicators to show that the country is on track.