Sunday 15 January 2023

WHERE IS THE ORIGIN OF THE CHALLENGES I HAVE FACED SINCE 2010 WHEN SOME PEOPLE DECIDED TO SHARE THE PROCEEDS TO MY FUNDRAISING FOR PRESIDENT OF UGANDA?




By William Kituuka Kiwanuka 


When I was sent on an indefinite suspension from Nile Bank in May 1991, I found myself involved in sending letters to the editor for various newspapers. I became a freelance journalist of sorts. Those who read papers that time got to know me.


With time, I frequented my friend at Makerere University - the Late Ssalongo Paul Teefe. Teefe was like a brother to me. Given the interaction with him, I got in touch with a number of University staff then more so the non - teaching. 

In 2001, the Private Sponsorship scheme was in business. I was able to get to appreciate the challenges the private students were going through. Together with some people outside Makerere University, we decided to form: Makerere University Private Students’ Parents’ Association (MUPRISPA). Someone who I don’t remember very well helped us to have it registered by the Registrar of Business names at the former Main Crane Bank Building near Janan Luwum Church House.


I cannot remember how I got in touch with the Private students. However, what I can remember is that before 2001, I had with students from the then Faculty of Commerce worked on a students publication. That time there was the current Kabaka’s media man who had good connections with companies in Kampala who helped in getting some adverts to back the publication.


My communications to the media houses and the University administration about the plight of private students at Makerere University was a common feature. It is then that I got good bashing from the then Vice Chancellor Prof. Ssebuwufu. I went to his office to see him about the challenges of the Private students. The treatment I got, I could say he was ruthless and shouted at me. But that did not stop my efforts.


I remember one time I had a CV and other documents with me. Some lady in Accounts at Makerere who had seen a number of my write ups wanted to see my qualifications. She was surprised that I had a B.A degree, yet she thought that I was a PhD person.


During that time, I did not only make communications in writing to the Ministry of Education, but also visited the Ambassador who was concerned with the students’ affairs.


Our communications went as far as making appeals to the President of Uganda to intervene in matters of Makerere University when tuition fees got increased. This we did a number of times.


I remember when I made the initiative to write a proposal to Government regarding a viable Education loan scheme and its sustainability. This I submitted to the Ministry of Education. 


It is also true that at I used to copy my communication to a number of organizations in Uganda.


In 2005, given that Uganda Local Government Authority (ULGA) was among the recipients of my communication, invited me for training via radio twice a week at ULGA Office at National Insurance Building. That training went on up to 2007. I remember we used to attend video conferencing at Uganda Management Institute (UMA).


In 2005 is when I was requested by the Late Dr. George William Mayanja to help in the preparations for the Centenary of St. Mary’s College, Kisubi. I accepted and for a few weeks I did work that was meant to enrich the SMACK Website. The initial work was from Dr. Mbire’s office and afterwards I moved to St. Mary’s College, Kisubi. It was easier to access the information for the website and I would get in touch with Engineer Musisi whose company ended up making an interactive website.


When work on the website was completed towards the end of 2005, I realized there was a vacuum as regards the Centenary Magazine. I talked to Brother Bukenya who was the Head Teacher so that he allows me to do the roles of the Memorial Committee which was a Sub - Committee of the SMACK Centenary Steering Committee. My main challenge was to get information from former Headmaster’s of SMACK. I was ready to work on the Magazine up to the end with no Editorial Board. That time, I had slowly managed to get email contacts of SMACK OB groups and I would update them regularly.


I decided to use questionnaires to former Headmaster’s of SMACK: Brother Anthony Kyemwa RIP, Brother (Dr) Cosmas Kafeero RIP, Brother Joseph Tinkasimire, Brother Peter Kazekulya and J C Kiwanuka RIP a former Deputy Headmaster for a long time. I was able to get information from a number of other people including Basil Kiwanuka RIP a former OB of SMACK as well as teacher and Board Chairman. I also had opportunity for about to weeks when Brother Kyemwa personally called on me at the HSC Reading Block and made a number of explanations regarding the evolution of SMACK.


Of course my work was enriched by existing literature some from the Memorial Library including past Eagle Magazine publications where students wrote about developments with time at the school.


I also got clearance to Lubaga Archives where I was able to learn about a Statue that was donated to the school which it was at Lubaga in 1907 and by then it was in the sitting room of the Parish Priest. I also got information about the evolution of the Old Boys Association and how the land where the SMACK Club House at Lubaga was acquired and the eventual building of that house. It is from the records in the Archives at Lubaga among the Minutes of the Old Boys Association that I learnt that the Old Boys of SMACK were the proprietors of Kabojja Junior School. The innovation was a result of the White Sister’s at Kisubi phasing out St. John’s Junior School where Hon Paul Kawanga Ssemogerere went for his early primary education. I also got some little literature from Makerere University Main Library and J B Walusimbi Senior a former Permanent Secretary and OB of St. Mary’s College, Kisubi. My word did not stop at being Editor of the Magazine but I also solicited some adverts that were put there.


The big turn up of the Old Boys has much to do with my communication and updating them of developments to the Centenary Celebrations.


After the Centenary celebrations in 2006, I continued communicating to Old Boys and publishing other literatures to do with the school as shown below. In all, they are ten publications.


So, in 2010 when I showed interest in contesting the Presidency, some people knew my potential and mobilizing abilities. We had in place Ugandans at Heart. I sent my appeal for support through this channel. I also communicated to those offices in Uganda where I had been communicating developments about Private Students at Makerere University and other issues of National importance. Then to those, I added the international community who I reached through email communication.


When I think about that journey from 2001, I am not surprised that those who knew my potential decided to kill it by denying me access to funds I raised. Instead they shared the money through a scandal of an international magnitude. This is one of the biggest scandals since Uganda got independent. I don’t blame some people who think that my fundraising is all fiction. Just trust my word, I have the potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment