Sunday 24 April 2022

WILLIAM KITUUKA KIWANUKA AT MAKERERE UNIVERSITY

 LIFE AT MAKERERE UNIVERSITY BETWEEN 1980 - 1983 WHEN I WAS A STUDENT THERE.


William Kituuka Kiwanuka 


Our joining Makerere University in 1980 had been much influenced by the developments of the 1979 Liberation war which saw Idi Amin RIP sent into exile. I must say, schools generally performed badly given the time students spent away from school as a result of the war.


We got to Makerere University and students’ politics was basically between Uganda People’s Congresses (UPC) and the Democratic Party. I had wanted to offer B Com but I did not make the required points. I blame that development to Brother Headmaster at St. Mary’s College Kisubi who chose MEG for me. Up to now, I do not encourage students to offer MEG. Instead it is better to offer PEM. Unfortunately, PEM was not one of the combinations at St. Mary’s College Kisubi. I opted for: Economics, Geography and Sociology in my fast year.


I was admitted as a non resident student. I initially stayed with my Late brother Isaac Kiwanuka who entered through the mature entry scheme to do Education. Given the challenges, I was not involved in students’ social life most of my stay at Makerere.


I had two real friends during my stay at the University. They were John Ssempeera who has been in the Insurance industry most of his working career, and currently he is with PAX at Christ the King in Kampala. My other friend was the Late Lule who worked with Uganda Revenue Authority.


We used to do a lot of discussions with these friends of mine, and we maintained our friendship through Makerere University and into our working life. I remember one time Ssempeera told me that his wife was due for a caesarian operation at Mulago as she was to give birth to twins, and I was there at Mulago until the lady was through with the operation.


It was not easy not to be part of the Political party politics at Makerere University. So, shortly after I joined, I identified with the Democratic Party (DP). And, some friends sympathized with my being a non - resident. I together with some other students were fixed into halls of residence. Around that time, my brother had also secured a room in Lumumba Hall. I got a room in Mitchell Annex near the Art Department.


That time our Vice Chancellor was Prof Asavia Wandira. Unlike these days, that time students had no business with the Vice Chancellor. As I have said, there was a lot of friction between the Democratic Party and UPC factions. Because of the friction, some members of UPC learnt that some of us had got accommodation in the Halls yet we were non - residents. That time it was basically DP leadership in Mitchell. I think it was the beginning of third term. On arrival, I saw a list pinned up of students who had to see the University Dean as they were staying in Halls yet officially non residents, my name was among them. I gained courage and went to Uncle Kihuguru’s office. I was ready to say: ‘sorry’ for my sin. Uncle was not bad. He cautioned me and gave me a small bill to pay. I looked for the money, paid it and went to reside outside campus.


I had a teacher friend of my Late brother who accommodated me on William Street. There were flats for Kitante teachers. At that time insecurity was at its pick in and around Kampala. Binaisa RIP was President. One time I had slept alone in the flat and we were on ground floor. Someone attempted to break in. When I heard the noise as he gambled with the door, I got some metallic structure and banged the door from inside, and the thug went.


The meals at the University were not the best, however, we pushed on. I must say, there is no serious club or anything of the sort that I was involved in at Makerere University. Given my poor background, I tried very much to concentrate on reading my books and doing coursework.


Those days, we had Tutorials. After a lecture we would have smaller groups where we interacted with teaching assistants. One teaching assistant who I remember very well was the man called Hon Daudi Migereko. He was in the Geography Department.


One lecturer who I used to admire in first year was Dr.Sulaimani Kiggundu RIP. He had a Beetle car. He is the type who had been in US for his PhD and used to say: gasoline instead of petrol. Things like externalities referring to say the creams ladies use etc. His classes were lively and he looked an intellectual. He was teaching us Economics in year one.


Another lecturer who I remember very well is Prof. Ouma Muge (RIP). He was a Kenyan. He was teaching us East African Geography. He made his subject easy to understand because he used to start his lesson with the revision of what he had previously taught us. He would be good have been good at this time when Lake Victoria has started reclaiming land. He really had mastered the subject.


Those were the days of BOOM. Government would pay students some money. I do not remember whether it was termly or otherwise. At the same time, we had money for books. Each one of us had an account with the University bookshop. We would sample books we were interested in, and balances would be reduced according to the value of the books.


During my stay at the University, I only remember one Guild President and that was Dr. Opio Oloya. I think due to the politics at the University, during two of my years there were no Guild Presidents elected.


I was admitted as a resident student for my second year and third year. During those two years, depending on my timetable, I used to travel to Kajjansi to teach at Kawotto Saviours Primary school of the Late Katabaro. This helped me meet some of my needs.


I was not seen at home during my University days. By home I mean Namutamba in then Mubende District. One main reason was that during that time it was risky traveling by road due to the NRA Liberation war. People would use the train. So, that time, I stayed around Kajjansi and would do part time teaching.


Since I had not taken B Com, I still needed a combination that would make me look a professional. I decided to do Economics and Rural Economy. We were doing Rural Economy with Agriculture students from their Faculty. One time I remember I was one of the students who refused the offer of a Lecture we had been given to take us in Farm Management. We went to the lecturer who had been taking us in Farm management and told him that the guy he had given to us was not audible. We succeeded in getting him removed. The man was also working with FAO.


We also had Mr. Mubazi and Musemakweri (who later was at Uganda Cooperative Alliance) as our teachers.


In Economics we had a paper where I would meet in class with the current Deputy Governor Bank of Uganda. The paper was: Money, Banking and Public Finance. The lecturer was a conservative Prof Obone. He was mean with marks. Students used to say that he did not want to teach someone to replace him.


In my third year, I remember Dr. Gemina Ssemogerere. She used to teach us Development Economics.


I remember there was some water crisis at Makerere University and we would fetch water from across in Katanga or something like that.


That was the bit of life at Makerere University. During my stay there was no strike at the University. And, in January 1984, President Obote RIP officiated at our graduation. That time the ceremony used to be in the Science Quadrangle. There was only one ceremony every year.









No comments:

Post a Comment