Monday 25 January 2021

35 YEARS AGO TODAY...

 35 YEARS AGO TODAY, UGANDA HAD REAL HOPE TO SEE A FUNDAMENTAL CHANGE AFTER NRM CAPTURED POWER.


I keep telling Ugandans that I did not support the 5 year Bush war that the NRM / NRA wagged upon Ugandans. The 5 year Bush war claimed not less than 500,000 people.



I remember the day while at Makerere University when Obote’s forces invaded the University looking for Hon. Kiyonga the only UPM candidate who had made it to Parliament in disputed 1980 elections. Fortunately, the hunt did not get Kiyonga, but Makerere University hill had a good share of the experience.


Prior to NRM capturing power on 26th January 1986, we had witnessed what later came to be called ‘NRM/A Peace jokes. I had bought Daily Nation the Kenya newspaper on daily basis as a report was constantly given regarding the deliberations.


That time I was a Trainee Account in Uganda Commercial Bank - Jinja Main Branch at Busoga Square.


We had previously experienced the takeover by Lutwa RIP of Obote II which was not easy. As soldiers from Kampala side run for safety, those of us who were on the Eastern side of River Nile had terrible experience. The looting by the soldiers in some instances was associated with loss of life.


The news that NRM/A had captured power came at a time when banks were opening around 9.00am, an hour after the Opening time prior to the takeover from Obote II.


The wave of insecurity hit Jinja area as soldiers run from Kampala. I remember a friend of mine had his car looted. It was recovered in a sorry state after.


I thank God that I survived. A number of people lost life as the soldiers run from the NRA soldiers who were running for their lives.


35 years down the road, corruption has really flourished in Uganda. At the time President Museveni took power, I thought there would be no stealing of public funds. This has not been the case. Money has been stolen, the inflation of tenders and contracts have all frustrated Ugandans as service delivery has badly been negatively affected.


The cost of long stay in power has been the increased administration infrastructure to the country. We now have a Parliament of over 500 which is a big cost to Ugandans. The cabinet is also huge as well as the big number of RDCs and Presidential Advisors. All these huge numbers are against public services delivery. Teachers, Doctors and many other professionals are poorly paid given the services they give to the public.


Education in Uganda remains a private sector undertaking given that the private sector remains in charge of the bigger part of the sector.


35 years ago, I did not expect to be a victim of the NRM Government. I still need prayers to recover at least some of the funds I raised when I wanted to stand for President of Uganda in 2011 and 2016. I wait to see justice after some people decided to share what I raised.

No comments:

Post a Comment