Thursday 28 January 2021

ALICE KIWANUKA PASSED ON JUNE 28, 2020

“MBEGAYIRIDDE MUGYE E’SSISA KU SSANDE NGA 8/3/2020”. LITERALLY MEANING: “I APPEAL TO YOU TO COME TO SSISA ON SUNDAY 8/3/2020.

When Late Alice Kiwanuka sent an invitation to each of us her siblings to turn up for a meeting to discuss starting of a viable project at home to generate income, we did not know that it was the last meeting we were to have with her as our mobilizer. The meeting took place and it was fruitful. 

We were not able to have another family meeting because of the lockdown which started following the closure of all places of learning and eventual suspension of public transport on March 25.

Alice’s journey to leave us starts.

Around 9.00pm on Friday, May 15 I got communication from my sister that Alice had been admitted to Mildmay Hospital (Private). It was late, curfew was on and no transport both private and public. This was the nearest facility given her residence at Katale given problems of transport then. Actually an attempt to get an Ambulance had failed so an Army man was requested to collect her from her residence and took  her up to the Hospital.

I checked on her early on Saturday, May 16. I however only understood her problem as I was getting out of Mildmay gate. I was told that she had a Liver malfunction if I may call it so.

Back home, I was bothered even made some inquiries whether it was best to keep a patient with a Liver problem at Mildmay. Some consultant had advised Kiruddu given the equipment they have.

Back at Mildmay on Sunday, I was told that some tests were being undertaken and results had to be awaited. I could not bring in my view. 

On Monday, May 18 before going to hospital, I talked to my brother about my view of taking our sister to Kiruddu. He told me that he had been told that she was improving. I however got morning breakfast prepared and took to the hospital. I then left for home.

Tuesday morning still I got breakfast for her and shortly after arrival, I was told that I did not need to come back the following day as the Doctor had promised to discharge her. Indeed she was discharged on Wednesday, May 20.

On Tuesday, June 2 Alice sent to me a text message that she had gone back to hospital for review as had been directed. And she told me that she was gradually improving.

On Wednesday, June 3 I called on her in the afternoon. She told me that she had actually footed to the hospital. To me this was some sort of hope that my sister was getting better though I was surprised when she told me. She bid me bye and I left.

On Tuesday, June 16 I called on Alice at her home. We talked. She had gone to the hospital for the second review and had actually traveled to Kampala and Kajjansi Town in between my previous call on her and June 16. I really thought that she was improving.

My sister by then was staying with two girls. One was helping to do work in her shop and the other with domestic work. I learnt that the one who was doing domestic work had not got the Government Home Study materials. I promised to print out for her and deliver the following day.

Alice was surprised to see me on Wednesday, June 17 since I had called on her on Tuesday the same week. I told her that I had delivered the study materials for the student who had not got. I did not know that it was the last time with Alice.

On Tuesday, June 23 my brother rang me. He told me that Alice’s situation had deteriorated. He said that his idea was to take her to Kisubi Hospital. I however requested him to let me talk to some consultants. There had been a Doctor that we were advised to see, however, the patient opted to be taken to Nsambya Hospital.

I was later told that she had been brought back home the same day.

Early Sunday, June 28 my other sister rang me at 6.21am. She said, “Alice was not well. Her condition had been really bad in the course of the night”.

I shortly set off for Alice’s home. On arrival, I met a sister of mine who had arrived a few minutes before me. I was taken through the experience since it was found out that her breathing was with a lot of difficulty and associated with noise.

I had wanted us to organize some Doctor to check her and find out her situation, unfortunately, though I met Alice talking, she was growing weaker. My sister said that the option was to take her to Kiruddu Hospital.

By 1.15pm, Alice who could not stand without support was helped into a salon car. My wish for a safe journey only got news that she had been pronounced dead on arrival at Kiruddu.

It is the 8th Sunday since she breathed her last. I many times get to remember what I went through after getting information that Alice had passed on.

I remember when they left, the girls prepared lunch. After lunch, I relaxed on a mat in the sitting room. Then I asked the girls whether they would manage to stay two in the house. They told me that it was okay. That by 6.00pm they would lock and get to sleep.

I left them around 3.00pm. On my way, I got a call from a number which was not in my Phone book. The message was: “Obitegedde ebifudde ku Alice?” Translated as: Have you known what has happened to Alice? I said no. “Alice afudde”. That Alice has died. “Kati nkoleki?” He asked me: What do I do now?
When he realized that I was in a state of shock, he stopped the call. I immediately composed myself. What initially came to my mind was taking my sister to a funeral home. However, I stood a bit and made immediate communication to people I expected to be very useful given the challenges.

I then decided to go back and tell the girls. Halfway to the home I left them, the guy this time rings me telling me how he had got an ambulance and it was heading to Ssisa! It was not easy for me. I saw it difficult changing that arrangement more so that my mother was to get the body shortly after learning the bad news. At that time, what came to my mind was: “Let the will of God be done”.

Meeting the girls ceased to be a priority. I changed my plan to informing a few people in Kajjansi Town then join the mourners home.

On my way to Ssisa, I got a call from my brother. He was in Soroti and was continuing the journey. I told him the sad news as there was no option.

I realized the call to the duty that I was to face about 5 minutes to my arrival to our parents’ home. One granddaughter rang me. She asked me where I was. I think she had already realized the vacuum that I needed to be home and get working.

I arrived but somehow broke down immediately. But the good Lord strengthened me because He had to prepare me for the challenges to see my sister buried the following day.

I thank all those who supported us: The Church Ministers from a number of Churches. There are people who I cannot mention and also their contribution as they may not be happy about it. I thank God Who were with my mother and comforted her. It was not easy because Alice was our Commander.

We remain grateful to all the condolence messages and words of comfort and all we have to say: “Alice bye till we meet again”









































 

No comments:

Post a Comment